Mississippi Department of Banking
and Consumer Finance

Consumer Complaints

What is a complaint and recommended resolution procedures?


A complaint is an expression of concern or dissatisfaction by any party against a company regulated by the Department of Banking and Consumer Finance.

STEP ONE: Contact someone in authority at the company or business in question (ie Owner, President, or Consumer Complaint Specialist) to resolve the complaint.

When you have a complaint, you should contact the company about it. You can be able to get a resolution. If you talk to someone at the company you should:

  1. Be courteous and remain calm.
  2. Explain the problem: provide dates and amounts paid or billed, have important documents, and present as many facts as possible.
  3. Explain what type of remedy you are seeking.
  4. State whether you are willing to negotiate; remember, in many disputes, neither side is totally correct.
  5. If you can not get a response by following the steps, go to Step 2, contact the Department of Banking and Consumer Finance after completing the attached complaint form. However, contact the appropriate agency if the company does not consider the subject of the jurisdiction of the Department. Please see below where to call for a complaint against such a company.


If you have a complaint with the company, please contact the Department. This document is available in Portable Document Format (PDF) at the end of this step. Please include copies of documents, canceled checks, correspondence, etc. The Department will send a copy of your complaint to the institution and request that the institution respond promptly to the Department.

The Department's goal is to encourage companies and consumers to settle their disputes directly. However, if your complaint is referred to this Department, please contact the company directly.

Be aware that the Department does not have the authority to act as an attorney. In some cases, your recourse to resolve the matter might be legal action. The Department will not have a handle on litigation nor will it be the case. If, after a thorough investigation, the department will take appropriate corrective action.


  • Printable Complaint Instructions
  • Printable Complaint Form